Historic Images of Queens on Display At the Executive Office Center at Fresh Meadows

One of the 40 historic images of Queens that line the hallways of Executive Center. Read more: Queens Examiner - Historic Images of Queens on Display At the Executive Office Center at Fresh Meadows
One of the 40 historic images of Queens that line the hallways of Executive Center.
Read more: Queens Examiner – Historic Images of Queens on Display At the Executive Office Center at Fresh Meadows
A display of historic images of Queens, obtained from the Queens Historical Society will be open to the public on Sunday, November 14, 2010, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Executive Office Center at Fresh Meadows.

The images, which depict life in Queens from the late 19th century through the 20th century, illustrate dramatically how the borough of Queens – and of course, life itself – has changed over the course of the past one hundred years.

An image of the quaint wooden structure of the Flushing Post Office, from 1895, is remarkable in its disparity from the hectic service center it is today. Similarly, the Queens Library of today bears little resemblance to an image of the institution in 1905.

Queens Borough President Helen Marshall, would no doubt be amused by a photograph showing a parade in 1902 for the election of Joseph Cassidy for Queens Borough President.

Residents of Fresh Meadows will take special interest in many of the photos on display at the Executive Office Center. Only local senior citizens will remember that present day Hooters, at 193-03 Horace Harding Blvd, was once the home of the Horn & Hardart Food Co. (shown in 1952). There is a picture of an auto show in the parking lot of the Fresh Meadows shopping center in 1953. Another image, dated 1895, shows the Van Siclen farm, at the corner of Utopia Parkway and Union Turnpike, the present day site of St. John’s University,

Also on display is a picture of Bayside’s own “Gentleman” Jim Corbett, the World Heavyweight Boxing Champion from 1892 to 1897, out for a buggy ride with his wife in 1903.

Few people may recall that the a NYC building in Flushing Meadows Park was the temporary headquarters of the United Nations from 1946 to 1951, before it moved to its present location on the east side of Manhattan. The conference room of the Executive Office Center is graced by an image of the United Nations General Assembly voting the state of Israel into existence in 1948.

A photographic retrospective of Queens would not be complete without pictures of the Worlds Fair in Flushing Meadow Park. There are images in the hallway outside the conference room showing the opening and closing days of the 1964 Worlds Fair.

For further information about the gallery event, contact Executive Office Center Associate Director, Mary Abrams, at 718-475-2121. The office building is accessible by the Q-17 bus, which stops nearby at the intersection of Horace Harding and 188th Street, and by the Q-30 and Q-31 buses, which stop at Utopia Parkway and 64th Ave.

Read more: Queens Examiner – Historic Images of Queens on Display At the Executive Office Center at Fresh Meadows

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Translate »